At Emerald Coast Chiropractic we’ve started a new year with the urge to make some lifestyle modifications in order to make our lives healthier and wealthier now and into the future. We have made a short list of ten things we are doing and you also can do to enhance your life in 2010. While we value seeing our patients on a regular basis to help them maintain their health, we seek to empower you to make the most of your adjustments.
- Exercise More When given the opportunity, take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator. You burn five times more calories than taking the elevator. Exercise is key in enhancing your health and relieving the stress of everyday life.
- Eat Less When you go out to eat in a restaurant, ask for a “to go” box when you receive your food. Cut the portion in half and put one half in the box. You then enjoy your meal and you have something for lunch tomorrow, effectively making your own “two for one” special.
- Walk More When you drive to the store, instead of driving around and around the parking lot or waiting for someone to leave their parking spot, go ahead and park where you have to walk a few steps. You’ll likely get into the store quicker and save a little gas also.
- Drink More Water Try to increase your water intake throughout the day. Try substituting water at least once instead of some sugary beverage. If you don’t like to drink plain water, add lemons or limes. This makes it taste better and makes you want to drink more of it. You can also try to eat more water rich foods, such as fruits like watermelon, which is 92% water by weight.
- Eat More Quality Food Make an attempt to include more fresh fruits and vegetables and reduce the amount of processed foods in your diet this year. If your meal comes sealed in a plastic package, it is processed.
- Get Your Finances in Order Now, more than ever, is the time to refocus and get back on track with your money. Take a financial education and budgeting course such as Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University to help you get things organized and back on track.
- Exercise Your Brain Invest in yourself and nourish your brain by reading a new book, learn a new skill or take a class. The average millionaire reads a book a month, but most of us haven’t read a non-fiction book cover to cover since high school.
- Connect with Others Spend time with positive people who enhance your life. A strong support system will buffer you from the negative effects of stress. Try volunteering in your local community to “pay it forward”. Try exercise activities with other members of you family to strengthen those bonds while creating better health.
- Reduce Caffeine and Sugar The temporary “highs” caffeine and sugar provide often end with a crash in mood and energy. By reducing the amount of coffee, soft drinks, chocolate, and sugar snacks in your diet, you’ll feel more relaxed and you’ll sleep better.
- Get Quality Rest Speaking of sleep, make healthy sleep habits a priority by keeping a consistent sleep (bedtime) and wake schedule, including weekends. Wake up everyday at the same time, and make some quiet time for yourself. Sleep debt is the effect of not getting enough rest and sleep; a large debt causes mental, emotional, and physical fatigue. Your body does the greatest amount of healing and regeneration during sleep.
These are just a few things that can be changed and become new lifestyle habits to enhance and improve your health in 2010. New, better habits don’t have to cost a lot in either time or money.
Dr. Whidden is a former U.S. Navy pilot turned chiropractor in Destin, Florida. Emerald Coast Chiropractic, finding solutions to today’s health care issues, Who’s YOUR Chiropractor?
Ken Whidden, DC
Emerald Coast Chiropractic and Ottawa first aid training.